A robot is a mechanical agent that can perform tasks automatically. Similarly computer science is the design of software that can perform tasks. Computer software and robots can both be operated automatically, semi-autonomous, or remotely controlled. Both are designed to be used for one or more specific purposes.
Pertinent Information and Definitions
Good physical design may refer to mechanical functionality and/or UI (User Interface).
- Sensors and/or operator input is appropriate and understandable for the planned purpose(s)
- Manipulators and/or displays are used as needed to accomplish the needed tasks
- Physical or interface construction is appropriate and elegant
Several operability concepts are used to help define the capability of an entry.
- Operational methods of the software or robot are complete and appropriate for the purpose
- Design allows for variables in the operating environment and error handling
- Operation is repeatable and consistent with the planned function
Display, Documentation, and Software
The project display should show the following and may include a paper with more information.
- A working robot or sub-assembly or, if software, the working software should be presented
- The function or purpose of the robot or software should be described
- The description and clarification of any sub-components should be explained
- A description of the methodology used to operate the robot or software may be included
Additional items that may be explained as part of the entry include:
- Considerations for alternative operation based on variations in operating parameters
- Documented code or design information
- Efficiency of design (software code and /or mechanical design)
Entry, Review, and Judging
An entry in this category will be reviewed and judged on the following:
- General requirements and judging points
- Physical design and/or operational functionality
- Software source code evaluation (if applicable) (note: this can be confidential if desired.)
- Display and documentation provided
Additional items which will affect the review and judging conclusions
- Entry relates to real-world applications
- Robot or software and/or the associated purpose is original or innovative
- Illustrations, images, or other media that is presented as supporting information
Please review the judging rubric for this category for other items that may be considered.